This is one of the most frequent OBD2 trouble codes. Read the full article below to know what it means, how to fix it, and what other codes may show related to it.
U11E9 is an OBD-II Code that refers to Lost Communication With Active Grill Shutter
The U11E9 error code refers to an issue with the Dodge or Jeep vehicles. The grill shutter at the front of the radiator and behind the fascia is used in extreme temperature situations. The primary goal of the active grille shutters is to decrease aerodynamic drag, but there are some secondary advantages as well. When parked, active grille shutters help to retain engine heat and improve the warm-up period of the engine.
When communication is lost with the active grill shutter, it will cause the check engine light to come on the code U11E9 will be set and stored.
Common causes for this code include:
- Wiring and/or connectors that are damaged, burnt, shorted, disconnected, or corroded
- Faulty active grill shutter motor
- Bad ground connection
The symptoms of a U11E9 code are:
- Illuminated Check Engine Light
- Reduced engine performance
- Possible overheating
To diagnose a U11E9 DTC code, a technician would:
- Scan for codes in the ECM and look at the freeze frame data for failure.
- Visually inspect all of the wiring and connectors for damage, burns, shorts, or corrosion.
- Test the active grill shutter motor for proper operation.
- Check all grounds for connection and cleanliness.
- Repair or replace damaged parts as necessary.
- Clear codes and test drive to see if the code comes back.
The following are some of the most common mistakes that a technician may make when diagnosing a U11E9 code:
- Not thoroughly inspecting all the wiring and connectors.
- Not checking all the grounds.
- Not testing the active grill shutter motor.
- Replacing parts without first doing a proper diagnosis.
How serious is this?
A U11E9 code is a serious fault and should be repaired as soon as possible. The code can cause reduced engine performance, overheating, and possible damage to the engine.
What repairs can fix the code?
The following are solutions that may fix this problem:
- Repair or replace any faulty parts such as wiring, connectors, or the active grill shutter motor.
- Check all grounds and repair or replace as necessary.
- Clear codes and test drive the vehicle to see if the code returns.
A U11E9 is related to and may be accompanied by the following codes:
U11EA – Lost Communication With Passive Grill Shutter
P00A7 – Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Too High
In conclusion, the U11E9 code is a diagnostic trouble code that refers to a problem with the communication between the ECM and active grill shutter. This code can cause reduced engine performance, overheating, and possible damage to the engine. The best way to fix this problem is to have a qualified technician properly diagnose and repair the underlying cause of the code.