This is one of the most frequent OBD2 trouble codes. Read the full article below to know what it means, how to fix it, and what other codes may show related to it.
U0141 is an OBD-II Code that refers to Lost Communication With Body Control Module A
A U0141 code is a diagnostic trouble code that occurs when the other control modules on the vehicle are not communicating with each other. In this instance the Controller Area Network bus communications, or simply CAN indicates there's a loss of communication with the body control module. The body control module is responsible for things like the tire pressure monitor, remote keyless entry, door locks, the anti-theft alarm, heated mirrors, the rear window defroster, front and rear washers and wipers and the horn.
Common causes for this code include:
- Malfunctioning Body Control Module A (BCM)
- BCM "A" harness is open or shorted
- BCM "A" circuit poor electrical connection
The symptoms of a U0141 code are:
- Illuminated Check Engine Light
- Shaking upon acceleration
- No start condition
- Bad acceleration
- Misfiring at High speeds misfires
- Fuses may keep blowing
To diagnose a U0141 DTC code, a technician would:
- Scan for codes in the ECM and look at the freeze frame data for failure.
- Visually inspect the wiring harness and connectors for any signs of damage, corrosion or poor electrical connection.
- Check the fuses and replace as necessary.
- Perform a resistance test on the BCM "A" circuit.
- Replace the BCM if all tests are normal.
The following are some of the most common mistakes that a technician may make when diagnosing a U0141 code:
- Not thoroughly inspecting all the wiring and connectors.
- Not checking the fuses.
- Not properly testing the BCM "A" circuit.
- Reinstalling the BCM without properly testing it.
How serious is this?
A U0141 code in most cases is a more serious issue and in rare cases, where the BCM is found to be bad, other modules on the vehicle may not be able to communicate with each other which could lead to further damage.
What repairs can fix the code?
The following are solutions that may fix this problem:
- Repair or replace any faulty parts such as wiring, connectors, or control modules
- Check all the grounds on the vehicle
- Resolve any communication issues between modules
- Replace the Body Control Module "A"
A U0141 is related to and may be accompanied by the following codes:
P0603 – Control Module Processor Fault
P1657 – Body Control Module Memory Fault
U0155 – lost communication with transmission control module
In conclusion, the U0141 code is a diagnostic trouble code that refers to a problem with the communication between the other control modules on the vehicle. There are a number of possible causes for this code, and some common repairs include repairing or replacing any faulty parts, checking all the grounds on the vehicle, resolving any communication issues between modules, and replacing the Body Control Module "A".