This is one of the most frequent OBD2 trouble codes. Read the full article below to know what it means, how to fix it, and what other codes may show related to it.
P2647 is an OBD-II Code that refers to a Rocker Arm Actuator System Stuck on Bank 1
A P2647 code is caused by an ECM (Engine Control Module) receiving a signal from the PCM that there is an issue with the Rocker Arm Actuator System, specifically on Bank 1. The ECM will command an alarm to let the driver know that there is a problem and then it will store and display a P2647 code.
Common causes for this code include:
- Low oil pressure
- Faulty or blocked oil control valve
- Faulty harness, connector or wiring
- Mechanical issue with oil control valve
The symptoms of a P2647 code are:
- The Check Engine Light comes on
- The engine feels sluggish and unresponsive
- Rough idle or stalling
- A misfiring during acceleration
To diagnose a P2647 DTC code, a technician would:
- Conduct a visual inspection of all connections and wiring
- Check the oil pressure for proper operation
- Look at the Rocker Arm Actuator System components to make sure they are working properly
- Perform an Oil Pressure Test
- Replace any faulty or damaged components found after diagnosis
The following are some of the most common mistakes that a technician may make when diagnosing a P2647 code:
- Not diagnosing the root cause, which could be low oil pressure
- Replacing parts that do not fix the problem
- Not checking the freeze frame data
- Not checking the wiring or harnesses for damage or disconnections
How serious is this?
Although a P2647 code is not an imminent issue, it can cause significant damage to the engine and other components if not fixed soon.
What repairs can fix the code?
The following are solutions that may fix this problem:
- Replacing the Rocker Arm Actuator System
- Replacing the Oil Control Valve
- Getting rid of any blockage that may be in the valve or oil pressure circuit
- Timing belt and chain replacement, as well as other timing components
- Replacing wiring and connectors
- Replacing the harness and connector
A P2647 is related to and may be accompanied by the following codes:
P1343 Camshaft Position Sensor Cylinder 4 Intermittent Signal
In conclusion, the P2647 code is a generic trouble code that means the computer has detected an issue with the Rocker Arm Actuator System Stuck on Bank 1 and will store and display the code to let the driver know about it. This is not an imminent issue but if left unpatched can cause significant damage to multiple components of the car.