This is one of the most frequent OBD2 trouble codes. Read the full article below to know what it means, how to fix it, and what other codes may show related to it.
P1810 is an OBD-II Code that refers to Transmission Fluid Pressure Manual Valve Position Switch
A P1810 code is a diagnostic trouble code related to Ford vehicles that occurs when the PCM/ECM detects that the transmission control module could not determine the correct line pressure, which may impact the shift ability and torque converter procedure.
A P1810 code is set and stored when the PCM/ECM detects that the transmission control module (TCM) has not been able to determine the correct line pressure.
Common causes for this code include:
- The TFP Valve Position Switch will have a short circuit
- The TFP Valve Position Switch will have a poor electrical connection
- The Manifold Pressure Switch has gone bad
The symptoms of a P1810 code are:
- Illuminated Check Engine Light
- Hard shifting
- Limp Mode
To diagnose a P1810 DTC code, a technician would:
- Scan for codes in the ECM and look at the freeze frame data for failure.
- Visually inspect all wiring and connectors for damage.
- Check the TFP Valve Position Switch, the Manifold Pressure Switch, and all related wiring.
The following are some of the most common mistakes that a technician may make when diagnosing a P1810 code:
- Not thoroughly inspecting all the wiring and connectors for damage.
- Not checking the TFP Valve Position Switch, the Manifold Pressure Switch, and all related wiring.
- Failing to clear the codes and perform a road test.
How serious is this?
A P1810 code is a serious code and should be repaired as soon as possible. The code can cause the transmission to shift hard, go into limp mode, or even damage the transmission leading to costly repairs.
What repairs can fix the code?
The following are solutions that may fix this problem:
- Repair or replace any wiring that is damaged
- Replace the TFP Valve Position Switch
- Replace the Manifold Pressure Switch
A P1810 is related to and may be accompanied by the following codes:
P1700 – Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) Malfunction
In conclusion, the P1810 code is a diagnostic trouble code that refers to a problem with the transmission fluid pressure manual valve position switch. The code may cause the transmission to shift hard, go into limp mode, or even damage the transmission leading to costly repairs. There are several potential causes and remedies for this code, so it is important to diagnose and repair it as soon as possible.