This is one of the most frequent OBD2 trouble codes. Read the full article below to know what it means, how to fix it, and what other codes may show related to it.
P1717 is an OBD-II Code that refers to Transmission Range Switch Circuit Open
A P1717 code is a generic diagnostic trouble code that occurs when the PCM/ECM receives a signal indicating that the transmission range switch has failed, is stuck, or is shorted. There are a number of potential causes for this code, including a wiring issue, a broken or sticking switch, or a problem with the PCM/ECM.
When the P1717 code is set, it means that the PCM/ECM has detected an open circuit or a short to ground in the transmission range switch.
Common causes for this code include:
- Transmission range sensor/switch cables or connectors might be damaged.
- The Transmit Range Switch circuit might be defective, resulting in an open circuit.
- The transmission range switch is bad.
The symptoms of a P1717 code are:
- Illuminated Check Engine Light
- When your transmission changes, it might cause complications
To diagnose a P1717 DTC code, a technician would:
- Scan for codes in the ECM and look at the freeze frame data for failure.
- Visually inspect all related wiring and connectors.
- Check the operation of the transmission range switch.
- Test the continuity of the transmission range switch circuit.
The following are some of the most common mistakes that a technician may make when diagnosing a P1717 code:
- Not thoroughly inspecting all the wiring and connectors.
- Not checking the operation of the transmission range switch.
- Failing to test the continuity of the transmission range switch circuit.
How serious is this?
A P1717 code is a serious code, as it can indicate a problem with the transmission range switch or the wiring. If this code is not addressed, it could cause further damage to the transmission.
What repairs can fix the code?
The following are solutions that may fix this problem:
- Repair or replace damaged wiring.
- Replace the transmission range switch.
- Repair or replace the PCM/ECM.
- Clear any codes, test drive the vehicle, and rescan for codes to see if they return.
A P1717 is related to and may be accompanied by the following codes:
P1715 – Transmission Range Sensor/Switch Circuit Malfunction
In conclusion, the P1717 code is a diagnostic trouble code that refers to a problem with the transmission range switch or the wiring. There are a number of potential causes for this code, and the symptoms can be troublesome. The most common repairs for this code include repairing or replacing damaged wiring, replacing the transmission range switch, and repairing or replacing the PCM/ECM. If this code is not addressed, it could cause further damage to the transmission.