This is one of the most frequent OBD2 trouble codes. Read the full article below to know what it means, how to fix it, and what other codes may show related to it.
P1300 is an OBD-II Code that refers to Igniter Circuit Malfunction No. 1 (Toyota, Lexus)
A P1300 code is a manufacturer specific diagnostic trouble code for Toyota or Lexus that occurs when the PCM/ECM receives notices there is no IGF signal while the engine is running.
The ignitor is a necessary element of the ignition coil. According to the signal it receives from the IGT, power transistors in the ignitor cut-off current to the primary coil in the ignition coil. This causes the latter to fire the spark plug.
Common causes for this code include:
- Damage to the wires or connections of the lighter is possible
- The ignition coil may be defective
- The lighter could be broken
- Bad PCM (rare)
The symptoms of a P1300 code are:
- Illuminated Check Engine Light
- The engine may refuse to start
- Power is depleted from the engine
- During idling, the engine unexpectedly stops
To diagnose a P1300 DTC code, a technician would:
- Scan for codes in the ECM and look at the freeze frame data for failure.
- Visually inspect the wiring and connectors for damage.
- Check the spark plugs and ignition coil for damage.
- Check the engine for compression.
- Check for vacuum leaks.
- Check the fuel pressure.
- Measure the resistance of the igniter.
- Test the IGT sensor.
The following are some of the most common mistakes that a technician may make when diagnosing a P1300 code:
- Not thoroughly inspecting all the wiring and connectors for damage.
- Not checking the spark plugs and ignition coil for damage.
- Not checking the engine for compression.
- Not checking for vacuum leaks.
- Not measuring the resistance of the igniter.
- Not testing the IGT sensor.
How serious is this?
A P1300 code is a moderate-to-severe code. It can cause the engine to lose power and stop running, and it may also cause the Check Engine Light to come on.
What repairs can fix the code?
The following are solutions that may fix this problem:
- Replace the ignition coil
- Repair or replace the ignition coil harness
- Repair or replace ignition coil circuit
- Reprogram or replace PCM (Rare)
A P1300 is related to and may be accompanied by the following codes:
P1301 – Igniter Circuit Malfunction No. 1 (Ford)
P1302 – Igniter Circuit Malfunction No. 2 (Ford)
P1303 – Igniter Circuit Malfunction No. 3 (Ford)
In conclusion, the P1300 code is a diagnostic trouble code that refers to a problem with the igniter circuit in Toyota or Lexus vehicles. There are several possible causes for this code, and the most common ones are damage to the wiring or connectors, a defective ignition coil, or a broken lighter. The code can cause the engine to lose power and stop running, and it may also cause the Check Engine Light to come on. There are several possible solutions that may fix this problem, but the most common one is replacing the ignition coil.