This is one of the most frequent OBD2 trouble codes. Read the full article below to know what it means, how to fix it, and what other codes may show related to it.
P1298 is an OBD-II Code that refers to Injector Circuit Malfunction - Cylinder 3
A P1298 code is a Honda diagnostic trouble code that occurs when the PCM/ECM receives a signal indicating a problem with part of the charging system known as the electronic load detector (ELD) or ELD circuit. This code is used to indicate a condition in which an unexpected voltage signal has been detected.
When the computer detects this issue, a code P1298 is set.
Common causes for this code include:
- Open or shorted Electric Load Detector Harness
- Poor electrical connection in Electric Load Detector Circuit
- Electric Load Detector has Malfunctioned
- Bad PCM
The symptoms of a P1298 code are:
- MIL is illuminated
- Normally no other noticeable symptoms
To diagnose a P1298 DTC code, a technician would:
- Scan for codes in the ECM and look at the freeze frame data for failure.
- Visually inspect the wiring and connectors related to the ELD circuit.
- Test the operation of the ELD with a multimeter.
- If necessary, test or replace the PCM.
The following are some of the most common mistakes that a technician may make when diagnosing a P1298 code:
- Not thoroughly inspecting all the wiring and connectors.
- Not checking the condition of the PCM.
- Forgetting to check for other codes that may be present.
- Not properly diagnosing and repairing the root cause of the problem.
How serious is this?
A P1298 code is not a particularly serious code and is usually caused by a simple problem such as a bad connection or short. However, it should still be repaired as soon as possible to avoid further damage.
What repairs can fix the code?
The following are solutions that may fix this problem:
- Bad wiring, connectors, and modules repaired or replaced
- Replacing the electric load detector
- Reprogramming the PCM
A P1298 is related to and may be accompanied by the following codes:
Codes P1297 through P1300 all refer to injector circuit malfunctions and can be caused
In conclusion, the P1298 code is a diagnostic trouble code that refers to a problem with the electric load detector circuit. There are a number of possible causes for this code, and the most common solution is to repair or replace the wiring, connectors, and modules that are associated with the ELD circuit. This code should be repaired as soon as possible to avoid further damage.