This is one of the most frequent OBD2 trouble codes. Read the full article below to know what it means, how to fix it, and what other codes may relate.
P059F is an OBD-II Code that refers to Active Grille Air Shutter Performance
A P059F code means that the vehicle’s chassis control module has detected that there is improper air flow seen through one or more of the active grille shutters and when this occurs, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) is stored and set.
Common causes for this code include:
- Bad or stuck Active Grille Shutter Motor
- Loose or damaged connectors and wiring
- The actuation wire for the Grille Air Shutter Actuator is open or shorted
The symptoms of a P059F code are:
- Engine light is on
- Rough Shifting
- Noisy operation
- Poor acceleration or horse power performance
- Burning smell from vehicle vents or under the hood
To diagnose a P059F DTC code, a technician would:
- Scan for DTCs with an OBD-II Scanner
- Check for loose or damaged wiring and connectors
- Check the actuation wire for an open or short. If all is well, test the Grille Air Shutter Motor for proper operation.
- Replace if necessary. After repairs are made, clear any DTC codes to see if they return.
The following are some of the most common mistakes that a technician may make when diagnosing a P059F code:
- Not checking for and repairing any damaged or loose wiring and connectors
- Not checking the actuation wire for an open or short.
- Not testing the Grille Air Shutter Motor and replacing it first when there is no evidence of damage to electrical components.
How serious is this?
A P059F code is considered a moderate to serious engine problem. An active grille shutter that won’t operate or otherwise stay closed can cause excess heat to accumulate within the engine bay.
What repairs can fix the code?
The following are solutions that may fix this problem:
- Replacing the Grille Air Shutter Motor
- Repairing the wiring or connectors that are causing the problem
- Replacing faulty components, such as an open or shorted actuation wire
- Clearing any DTCs codes to see if they return
A P059F is related to and may be accompanied by the following codes:
P059B – Active Grille Shutters Performance
C1207 – Open or Short in the Actuation Wire for the Active Grille Shutters
In conclusion, the P059F code is a generic trouble code that indicates that there is a problem with the active grille shutters. Therefore, technicians should always check for damaged components and wiring before replacing any parts if at all possible and clear any DTCs after making repairs.