This is one of the most frequent OBD2 trouble codes. Read the full article below to know what it means, how to fix it, and what other codes may show related to it.
P0247 is a diagnostic trouble code that specifically pertains to the turbocharger wastegate solenoid "A" low circuit. When a low voltage condition is detected in the circuit regulating the wastegate solenoid, which may affect the performance and efficiency of turbocharged engines, that code shall be stored in the ECM.
In simpler terms, a P0247 code indicates that the solenoid of the wastegate circuit is inoperative and results in reduced control over the turbocharger's increased pressure. As a result, engine performance and fuel efficiency may be reduced.
Effective diagnosis and repair of the P0247 code depend on an understanding of its possible causes. Typical reasons include:
- Faulty Wastegate Solenoid: The wastegate solenoid itself may be defective, causing a low voltage condition in the circuit.
- Wiring Issues: Corroded or damaged wiring and connections in the circuit for the wastegate solenoid might prevent electricity from flowing.
- Faulty ECM: An erroneous P0247 code might occasionally be caused by an ECM that isn't working properly.
The P0247 code's related symptoms can be used to locate the problem. Typical signs include:
- Reduced engine power
- Decreased acceleration
- Reduced fuel efficiency
- Illuminated check engine light
- Increased exhaust emissions
The P0247 error code must be correctly diagnosed using a methodical methodology. The steps are as follows:
- Code Scanning: Retrieve the P0247 code and any supplementary codes* using an OBD-II scanner.
- Visual Inspection: Examine the wastegate solenoid and its wires visually for deterioration or damage.
- Testing the Solenoid: Measure the resistance of the wastegate solenoid and make sure it complies with the manufacturer's guidelines.
- Wiring Inspection: Verify the circuit's wiring and connections for continuity and fix any broken parts.
- ECM check: Consider testing or replacing the ECM once other explanations have been ruled out.
When working with the P0247 error code, avoid making these typical mistakes:
- Neglecting Other Codes: Don't focus solely on P0247; check for additional codes that may provide valuable diagnostic information.
- Replacing Parts Unnecessarily: Proper diagnosis is key to avoiding unnecessary part replacements. Always follow a systematic approach.
How serious is this?
The severity of the P0247 code is affected by the size of the problem. This could result in reduced vehicle performance and efficiency, though it is not possible to instantly render a vehicle out of service. In the course of time, ignoring this code can lead to more serious problems, and it must be dealt with without delay.
What repairs can fix the codeS?
Once the problem has been identified, the necessary repairs can be made:
- Change the solenoid: Replace the defective solenoid with a new one.
- Repair or Replace wire: Replace any rusted or damaged connections and wire.
- ECM Replacement: If it is found that the ECM is the problem, replace or reprogram it as appropriate.
Other related codes that may accompany P0247 include:
- P0246: Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid "A" Performance
- P0248: Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid "A" High Circuit
- P0249: Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid "B" Low Circuit
The P0247 DTC code appears to be difficult, but a proper diagnosis and prompt replacement of parts will allow you to restore the car's performance and efficiency. It may lead to more severe problems and higher repair costs over time if this code is not complied with.
If you encounter the P0247 code or suspect any related issues, don't hesitate to seek professional assistance to get your vehicle back on the road in optimal condition.
A PDF VERSION OF THIS ARTICLE FOR LATER