This is one of the most frequent OBD2 trouble codes. Read the full article below to know what it means, how to fix it, and what other codes may show related to it.
P0206 is an OBD-II Code that refers to Cylinder 6 Injector Circuit Malfunction.
A P0206 code is a general diagnostic trouble code that occurs when the PCM/ECM detects a problem with the has found a problem with the injector or its wiring, or in injector circuit for cylinder 6. It indicates an injector misfire on cylinder 6, with the PCM commanding the injector to open but not recognizing a change in electrical current that would indicate the injector fired.
Common causes for this code include:
- Bad injector
- Wiring to the injector is open or short
- Faulty PCM
The symptoms of a P0206 code are:
- Illuminated Check Engine Light
- Limp Mode
- Poor engine performance
- Poor fuel mileage
- Hard starting and related issues
- Lean or rich conditions
To diagnose a P0206 DTC code, a technician would:
- Scan for codes in the ECM and look at the freeze frame data for failure.
- Visually inspect the wiring to the injector for any obvious issues.
- Check the cylinder balance rates with a scan tool.
- Test the resistance of the wiring to the injector.
- Check for proper pulse width with a scan tool.
- Inspect the pressure and volume of fuel delivered to the injectors.
The following are some of the most common mistakes that a technician may make when diagnosing a P0206 code:
- Not thoroughly inspecting all the wiring and connectors for damage.
- Not checking the other injectors for codes.
- Failing to check the pressure and volume of fuel delivered to the injectors.
How serious is this?
A P0206 code is a serious code that can lead to engine damage if left un-repaired. A misfire can cause the engine to run lean or misfire, which can cause engine damage if not addressed quickly.
What repairs can fix the code?
The following are solutions that may fix this problem:
- Replace the Cylinder 6 Fuel Injector
- Repair or replacement of any wiring issues (damaged or broken wires)
- Replace or reprogram the PCM
A P0206 is related to and may be accompanied by the following codes:
P0207 - Cylinder 7 Injector Circuit Malfunction
In conclusion, the P0206 code is a diagnostic trouble code that refers to a problem with the injector or its wiring, or in injector circuit for cylinder 6. A technician would diagnose this code by checking the other injectors for codes, testing the resistance of the wiring to the injector, and checking for proper pulse width with a scan tool. The common mistakes made when diagnosing this code are failing to check the other injectors for codes and not thoroughly inspecting all the wiring and connectors for damage.