This is one of the most frequent OBD2 trouble codes. Read the full article below to know what it means, how to fix it, and what other codes may show related to it.
C0265 is an OBD-II Code that refers to EBCM Motor Relay Circuit Low When On (Chevrolet)
A C0265 code is a manufacturer specific diagnostic trouble code that is related to Chevrolet and is problem of Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) Relay Circuit. The EBCM is an electronic braking system that regulates the brake sensor on a truck. It also activates the vehicle‘s Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and traction control.
The C0265 OBDII fault code indicates that the Electronic Brake Control Module motor relay circuit has failed due to a performance issue.
Common causes for this code include:
- Bad Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM)
- EBCM has Circuit poor electrical connection
- EBCM has harness open or is shorted
- Bad Engine Control Module (ECM)
The symptoms of a C0265 code are:
- Illuminated Check Engine Light
- Illuminated Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Warning Light
- Car engage 4WD
- The parking brake light is on
- ABS functions are not available
To diagnose a C0265 DTC code, a technician would:
- Scan for codes in the ECM and look at the freeze frame data for failure.
- Visually inspect the EBCM and its wiring harness for damage.
- Test the EBCM relay circuit.
- Check for voltage at the EBCM.
- Check for resistance in the wiring harness.
- Replace the EBCM as necessary.
The following are some of the most common mistakes that a technician may make when diagnosing a C0265 code:
- Not thoroughly inspecting all the wiring and connectors for damage.
- Not checking for voltage and resistance in the wiring harness.
- Not properly testing the EBCM relay circuit.
- Replacing the EBCM when it is not necessary.
How serious is this?
A C0265 code is a serious code and should be repaired as soon as possible.
What repairs can fix the code?
The following are solutions that may fix this problem:
- Repair or replace any wiring that is damaged
- Check the EBCM for damage and replace if necessary
- Replace the ECM
A C0265 is related to and may be accompanied by the following codes:
C0266 – Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) Relay Circuit High When On
C0267 – EBCM Motor Relay Circuit Open
C0268 – EBCM Motor Relay Circuit Shorted
In conclusion, the C0265 code is a diagnostic trouble code that refers to a problem with the Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) motor relay circuit. The code is accompanied by a variety of symptoms, and may be caused by a number of different factors. The code should be repaired as soon as possible to prevent further damage.