This is one of the most frequent OBD2 trouble codes. Read the full article below to know what it means, how to fix it, and what other codes may show related to it.
A C0242 code is a manufacturer specific diagnostic trouble code that is related to Chevrolet and related vehicles and occurs when the engine control module (ECM) has indicated a traction control malfunction.
Common causes for this code include:
- Bad Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM)
- EBCM has Circuit poor electrical connection
- EBCM has harness open or is shorted
- Bad Engine Control Module (ECM)
The symptoms of a C0242 code are:
- Illuminated Check Engine Light
- Illuminated Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Warning Light
To diagnose a C0242 DTC code, a technician would:
- Scan for codes in the ECM and look at the freeze frame data for failure.
- Visually inspect the EBCM, the harness connector and pins, and the ECM for damage.
- Check for voltage on Pin A of the EBCM connector.
- Check for continuity on Pin A of the EBCM connector.
- If all of the above tests are normal, replace the EBCM.
The following are some of the most common mistakes that a technician may make when diagnosing a C0242 code:
- Not thoroughly inspecting all the wiring and connectors for damage.
- Not checking for voltage on Pin A of the EBCM connector.
- Not checking for continuity on Pin A of the EBCM connector.
- Not properly diagnosing the root cause of the code.
How serious is this?
A C0242 code is a serious code and should be diagnosed and repaired as soon as possible. Failing to do so may result in further damage to the vehicle and increased repair costs.
What repairs can fix the code?
The following are solutions that may fix this problem:
- Repair or replace any wiring that is damaged
- Check the EBCM for damage and replace if necessary
- Replace the ECM
A C0242 is related to and may be accompanied by the following codes:
C0243 – Engine Control Module Indicated Traction Control Malfunction (Ford and related makes)
C0244 – Engine Control Module Indicated Traction Control Malfunction (Dodge and related makes)
C0245 – Engine Control Module Indicated Traction Control Malfunction (GMC and related makes)
In conclusion, the C0242 code is a diagnostic trouble code that refers to a problem with the engine control module and traction control on Chevrolet and related vehicles. The code may be caused by a bad electronic brake control module (EBCM), a bad engine control module (ECM), or a poor electrical connection to the EBCM. The code should be diagnosed and repaired as soon as possible to avoid further damage to the vehicle.